FACTORS INCREASING THE RISK OF ENDOMETRIOSIS
- Early onset of menstrual periods
- Heavy periods
- Painful periods
- Prolonged periods
- Allergy (eg: foods, eczema, hay fever)
- Family history of endometriosis eg: mother or sister
Environmental toxins are also a possible cause of the disease as dioxin has been shown to cause disease in a factory where it was used excessively and also has been shown to cause endometriosis in monkeys.
FACTORS REDUCING THE RISK OF ENDOMETRIOSIS
- Aerobic exercise of 5 hours per week which in two studies has shown a 50% reduction in the risk of recurrence.
- Childbearing reduces the risk of recurrence by about 50%.
- The contraceptive pill has a similar protective effect by preventing ovulation when there is a surge of estrogen production and spill into the pelvis.
- Smoking also reduces the risk of endometriosis, although it is obviously not a reason to continue smoking.